Thanksgiving is a time when kitchen appliances can get a lot of extra use which can impact monthly energy bills. Avista offers the following tips to help save energy in the kitchen over the holiday:
· Cook several items at once and make sure to leave at least two inches between pans so heat can circulate.
· Use the oven light to check on the cooking progress. Each time the oven door is opened it can lose up to 20 percent of the heat which increases cooking time and wastes energy.
· Use a microwave or other small appliances as much as possible. A microwave oven costs about 11 cents an hour to use while an oven costs about 24 cents per hour. A slow cooker on the high setting costs about a penny an hour to use.
· Match the size of the pan to the burner when using the cook top. A six-inch pan on an eight-inch burner will waste more than 40 percent of the energy.
· Open the oven door after cooking to let the heat warm the kitchen; however, never use the oven as a primary heating source.
· Make sure the dishwasher is fully-loaded and use the energy-saving cycles whenever possible. One dishwasher load usually uses less hot water than three washings by hand.
· Keep the refrigerator and freezer as full as possible, but not overcrowded. It takes more energy to keep air cold than it does to keep food or liquid cold. Be sure to allow enough space between foods and containers for air to circulate freely.
Holidays can also mean extra house guests and more time at home. To save additional energy, set the water heater at 120 degrees, limit shower time to 10-15 minutes and switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs.
For more energy saving tips and information on Avista’s energy efficiency rebates and incentives, visit www.everylittlebit.com.
Avista Corp. is an energy company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy as well as other energy-related businesses. Avista Utilities is our operating division that provides service to 352,000 electric and 311,000 natural gas customers in three Western states. Avista’s primary, non-regulated subsidiary is Advantage IQ. Avista stock is traded under the ticker symbol “AVA.” For more information about Avista, please visit www.avistacorp.com.
Avista Corp. and the Avista Corp. logo are trademarks of Avista Corporation.
To unsubscribe from Avista’s news release distribution, send reply message to email@example.com.
<< [Back to News Releases]