The holidays are a time when kitchen appliances can get a lot of extra use, which can impact your seasonal energy bill. Newer kitchen appliances use about 50 percent less energy than models built a decade ago, but a few easy actions can still save you energy during this holiday season. Avista recommends that you:
· Match the size of the pan to the burner when using the cook top. A six-inch pan on an eight-inch burner will waste more than 40 percent of the energy.
· Use a microwave or other small appliances as much as possible. A microwave oven costs about 11 cents an hour to use while an oven costs about 24 cents per hour. A slow cooker on the high setting costs about a penny an hour to use.
· Cook several items in the oven at the same time, but make sure to leave at least two inches between pans so heat can circulate.
· Use the oven light to check on the cooking progress. Each time the oven door is opened it can lose up to 20 percent of the heat, which increases cooking time and wastes energy.
· Open the oven door after cooking to let the heat warm the kitchen; however, never use the oven as a primary heating source.
· Keep the refrigerator and freezer as full as possible, but not overcrowded. It takes more energy to keep air cold than it does to keep food or liquid cold. Be sure to allow enough space between foods and containers for air to circulate freely.
· Make sure the dishwasher is fully-loaded and use the energy-saving cycle whenever possible. One dishwasher load usually uses less hot water than three washings by hand.
In most homes, energy use increases over the holidays with colder temperatures, additional cooking and houseguests, seasonal decorations and using indoor and outdoor lights for longer periods of time. And, the additional usage usually increases monthly energy bills. For information about Avista’s energy efficiency rebate and incentive programs that can help your home use less energy year round, visit www.everylittlebit.com where you can also find other energy information.
Avista Corp. is an energy company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy as well as other energy-related businesses. Avista Utilities is our operating division that provides electric service to 355,000 homes and businesses and natural gas to 312,000 homes and businesses in three Western states, serving more than 492,000 customers. Avista’s primary, non-regulated subsidiary is Advantage IQ. Our stock is traded under the ticker symbol “AVA.” For more information about Avista, please visit www.avistacorp.com.
Avista Corp. and the Avista Corp. logo are trademarks of Avista Corporation.
<< [Back to News Releases]