July 13, 2015: Avista Corp., the parent company of Alaska Electric Light and Power Company (AEL&P), and the Avista Foundation have made three grants for community projects in Juneau:
· $10,000 in support of the monument to William H. Seward,
· $ 2,500 in support of the Juneau Jazz and Classics Festival and
· $ 1,250 in support of the 2015-2016 Youth Music Education program of the Juneau Symphony.
“As a partner in Juneau for the past year, we’ve come to appreciate and embrace the vibrant civic spirit of this community,” said Dennis Vermillion, president of Avista Utilities and chairman of the board for AEL&P. “We believe that building economic and community vitality is the corner-stone to a healthy community. We’re pleased to make this second round of grants to organizations and projects in Juneau that are making a positive impact on the community and its residents.”
In December 2014, Avista made grants totaling $100,000 in support of Juneau-area organizations including University of Alaska Southeast, Bartlett Regional Hospital, United Way of Southeast Alaska, The Glory Hole Shelter, Juneau Salvation Army and the Juneau Arts & Humanities Council.
About Avista Corp.
Avista Corp. is an energy company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy as well as other energy-related businesses. Avista Utilities is our operating division that provides electric service to 369,000 customers and natural gas to 329,000 customers. Its service territory covers 30,000 square miles in eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon, with a population of 1.6 million. Alaska Energy and Resources Company is an Avista subsidiary that provides retail electric service in the city and borough of Juneau, Alaska, through its subsidiary Alaska Electric Light and Power Company. Avista stock is traded under the ticker symbol "AVA."
About Avista Foundation
The Avista Foundation was established in 2002 with the objective of making a difference in our communities in a positive and sustainable way. Since its founding, the Avista Foundation has made grants totaling more than $3 million. The foundation focuses its giving in the areas of:
· education – K-12 education particularly in the fields of science, math and technology; and higher education including scholarships,
· vulnerable and limited income populations – providing assistance to those on limited incomes and support for initiatives to reduce poverty, and
· economic and cultural vitality – supporting projects that help communities and citizens to grow and prosper.
Information on the Avista Foundation is available at www.avistafoundation.org. The Avista Foundation is a separate, non-profit organization established by Avista Corp. The foundation does not receive funding from Avista Utilities or AEL&P customers through rates.
<< [Back to News Releases]