<< [Back to News Releases]
June 30, 2015: About 600 customers in the Colville area remain without power from the severe weather that moved through the area on Monday evening, producing heavy winds that brought down trees, branches, power poles and power lines. Additional Avista crews from Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint are in Colville assisting local crews in the damage assessment and power restoration efforts.
Due to the significant damage to trees, power poles and fallen lines, Avista’s initial estimate is that it could take up to 48 hours to restore power to all customers. The expected restoration time will be updated as assessment work is completed later today.
“Yesterday’s storm caused extensive damage to trees in our area and to Avista’s electrical system. Since the storm struck, our crews have been working on assessing damage and restoring power and will continue to do so until everyone has been returned to service,” said Kermit Olson, Avista’s Colville manager. “We appreciate the patience of customers as our crews work as quickly and safely as possible.”
Customers impacted by the outages are reminded to:
· Turn off all the appliances you think were on before power was lost
- Unplug electronic equipment, including computers
- Leave a light or radio on to let you know when you have service again
- Don't wire an emergency generator into your home electrical system. Backfeed into power lines could injure or kill a lineman working to get electricity restored.
- Use your generator only to run specific appliances, and locate it outside so poisonous carbon monoxide fumes don't enter your home.
- Turn off your air conditioning, if possible, or set the thermostat at a high temperature. Once your power comes back on, wait a half hour before you return your thermostat to a normal setting.
- If you see a downed power line, stay away. Treat all power lines as if they are carrying electrical current, and never touch or move one.
Customers can use a mobile device to track and report outages at www.avistautilities.com. They can also follow progress at www.facebook.com/Avista.
About Avista Utilities
Avista Utilities is involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy. We provide energy services and electricity to 369,000 customers and natural gas to 329,000 customers in a service territory that covers 30,000 square miles in eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon, with a population of 1.6 million. Avista Utilities is an operating division of Avista Corp. (NYSE: AVA). For more information, please visit
<< [Back to News Releases]