If you’re going to be away from home this summer, Avista offers a few tips to help ensure your hard earned money isn’t being spent at home when you’re away. Before leaving, take control of your energy use and get the most value for your energy dollar.
· Water Heater – Turn down the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees. If you are away for a week or longer, turn off an electric water heater and put a natural gas water heater in vacation mode, if your water heater has one.
· Refrigerator –Fill your refrigerator or freezer with plastic milk containers filled with water, if you’ll be away for less than a month. A full refrigerator or freezer uses the smallest amount of energy. Also, turn off your ice-maker.
· Air Conditioner –Increase the setting on your thermostat to 85 degrees or higher. To avoid coming home to a hot house, use a programmable thermostat set on “vacation mode” to re-cool your house shortly before you return.
· Lights – Turn off all lights in your home before leaving except for security lighting. Consider installing a timer to limit the time the security lights are on and to make it appear you are home.
· Electronics – Unplug all electronic appliances like computers, stereos, TV’s, DVR’s, cable and satellite boxes, cell phone chargers and DVD players. Electronics with digital displays, instant-on features and remote controls use electricity even when they are turned off.
· Windows – Close drapes and blinds to block out the sun and keep your home from heating up and provide security while you are away.
Every little bit counts when it comes to energy efficiency. To learn more about Avista’s energy efficiency programs, information, and rebates you may qualify for, visit www.everylittlebit.com. There you can also learn about how your home efficiency projects may qualify for Federal energy tax credits.
Avista Corp. is an energy company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy as well as other energy-related businesses. Avista Utilities is our operating division that provides service to 355,000 electric and 315,000 natural gas customers in three Western states. Avista’s primary, non-regulated subsidiary is Advantage IQ. Avista stock is traded under the ticker symbol “AVA.” For more information about Avista, please visit www.avistacorp.com.
Avista Corp. and the Avista Corp. logo are trademarks of Avista Corporation.
<< [Back to News Releases]